Remove +with_default_names and use a specific path for unprefixed binaries

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Sep 17 22:54:17 PDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 5:59 PM, Mark A. Miller wrote:

> Since there hasn't been much discussion on this for a while, I'm
> bringing this up again.
>
> The relevant enhancement bug is https://trac.macports.org/ticket/20748
>
> One of the thoughts was to use ${prefix}/libexec/gnubin for the
> unprefixed binaries. Although commonly applications that put files
> in here, intend these binaries to only be run by other binaries (A
> good example is HAL on Linux, it installs many HAL wrapper scripts
> in /libexec). But I think that there's no real reason to prevent
> putting gnubin (or whatever it ends up being called) under libexec.
> It seems a good enough place, and people who use this option to put
> unprefixed binaries here probably wouldn't have any issue with its
> location.
>
> Another thing that was brought up in the ticket is the idea that the
> scripts should be modified if you want unprefixed binaries. This
> doesn't particularly work well when you're dealing with large
> projects with giant recursive makefiles. You want to spend time
> trying to find the real issues with porting the software to MacOSX,
> rather than spend hours fighting standard BSD/GNU differences like
> sed/et cetera. At least that's my experience.
>
> Thoughts?

I actaully was thinking the opposite, that if you want the port
installed, it should install the binaries into the default location
for everything to pick up, so as in effect make +with_default_names
the default and add a +no_default_names otion.

After all, if you're installing the port, then just use it normally.
This is similar to the way that we now replace Apple's xorg with our
own.

Are there any reasons not to do this?

Regards,
Blair