Remove +with_default_names and use a specific path for unprefixed binaries

Mark A. Miller mark at mirell.org
Thu Sep 17 23:09:23 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:

> But if I want the port, I want the port.  What's the point of installing it
> if you don't want it as the default.

That doesn't particularly make any sense. I can install python26 and
python31, but I still want python26 to be the default, but be able to use
python31 if I want to.

As for building ports, then we set the port to use /usr/bin/sed and not
> $prefix/bin/sed for the few cases that are different.

Right, and for the thousands and thousands of lines of Makefiles for the
many packages that either ignore documented ./configure variables, use them
in some places but not in others, fetches the needed utility out of your
$PATH of the executing shell, or are hardcoded, not to mention the large
amount of portfiles and patches that would need to be modified...no, that
idea makes no sense whatsoever.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think you realize the
vast ramifications of it.

--
Mark A. Miller
mark at mirell.org