Remove +with_default_names and use a specific path for unprefixed binaries

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Sep 17 23:19:34 PDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 11:09 PM, Mark A. Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com>
> wrote:
> But if I want the port, I want the port.  What's the point of
> installing it if you don't want it as the default.
>
> That doesn't particularly make any sense. I can install python26 and
> python31, but I still want python26 to be the default, but be able
> to use python31 if I want to.

Installing these as the default doesn't stop you from using /usr/bin
tools when you want to, just as installing python26 as the default
doesn't stop you from using python31 if you want to.

> As for building ports, then we set the port to use /usr/bin/sed and
> not $prefix/bin/sed for the few cases that are different.
>
> Right, and for the thousands and thousands of lines of Makefiles for
> the many packages that either ignore documented ./configure
> variables, use them in some places but not in others, fetches the
> needed utility out of your $PATH of the executing shell, or are
> hardcoded, not to mention the large amount of portfiles and patches
> that would need to be modified...no, that idea makes no sense
> whatsoever.

> I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think you
> realize the vast ramifications of it.

I think you're mistaken there.  I've installed many ports with
coreutils, findutils and other ones installed and the only issue I've
ever run into was with an issue of the python* ports installing using
xargs.

I'm not suggesting doing this for all ports, just where there's
breakage.

Blair