Do Explorative Programming in tclsh with Readline Support

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 18 05:47:51 PDT 2009

I'm trying to follow these instructions for the first time and am not
having any luck, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if
the instructions need to be changed e.g. for MacPorts 1.8.0 or if
there is a bug in MacPorts 1.8.0.

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/CommittersTipsAndTricks#DoExplorativeProgrammingintclshwithReadlineSupport

I have created the file macports_testing.tcl with the specified
contents (except that on the first line I use "/opt/local/Library/Tcl"
etc. because that is where my macports1.0 lives).

Leaving rlwrap out of it for the moment, I can run "tclsh" (or
"tclsh8.4" or "tclsh8.5"). But as soon as I try to "source ~/path/to/
macports_testing.tcl" I don't see the successful "1.0" message but
instead:

can't read "workpath": can't read "portbuildpath": no such variable

Can anybody help?