Remove +with_default_names and use a specific path for unprefixed binaries

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 19 11:07:53 PDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 22:20, Mark A. Miller wrote:

> So, ${prefix}/libexec/gnubin seems to work, and put symlinks there
> for the GNU binaries by default, and get rid of this variant?

I would say so... I see Marcus already committed an update to do this
to gnutar. But now I see the with_default_names variant did more than
just install unprefixed binaries. It also installed unprefixed
manpages and whatever was in share. For gnutar, there appears to be
nothing in libexec and only info pages in share but maybe other ports
that have this variant have things in libexec, and also manpages. Do
we need "gnushare" and "gnulibexec" dirs too? Or do we need to put
bin, share and libexec directories into ${prefix}/libexec/gnu maybe?
Presumably if you have your PATH set up so that, say, GNU sed is
first, then it would be confusing to say "man sed" and get the
system's BSD sed manual...