Remove +with_default_names and use a specific path for unprefixed binaries

Mark A. Miller mark at mirell.org
Sat Sep 19 13:06:09 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2009, at 22:20, Mark A. Miller wrote:
>
>  So, ${prefix}/libexec/gnubin seems to work, and put symlinks there for the
>> GNU binaries by default, and get rid of this variant?
>>

> I would say so... I see Marcus already committed an update to do this to
> gnutar. But now I see the with_default_names variant did more than just
> install unprefixed binaries. It also installed unprefixed manpages and
> whatever was in share. For gnutar, there appears to be nothing in libexec
> and only info pages in share but maybe other ports that have this variant
> have things in libexec, and also manpages. Do we need "gnushare" and
> "gnulibexec" dirs too? Or do we need to put bin, share and libexec
> directories into ${prefix}/libexec/gnu maybe? Presumably if you have your
> PATH set up so that, say, GNU sed is first, then it would be confusing to
> say "man sed" and get the system's BSD sed manual...

${prefix}/libexec/gnu sounds like a good idea, although that would involve
adding an additional path to $MANPATH.

On the other hand, I don't think it's *that* terrible of an issue, generally
I see having these commands in ${prefix}/libexec/gnubin to be almost
completely used for scripts and other things that need GNU utilities for
some things.

But you do have a point, and if adding an additional $MANPATH search path is
not a big issue, then I agree.

--
Mark A. Miller
mark at mirell.org