Remove +with_default_names and use a specific path for unprefixed binaries

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 19 15:28:19 PDT 2009

On Sep 19, 2009, at 15:06, Mark A. Miller wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Sep 18, 2009, at 22:20, Mark A. Miller wrote:
>>
>>> So, ${prefix}/libexec/gnubin seems to work, and put symlinks there
>>> for the GNU binaries by default, and get rid of this variant?
>>

>> I would say so... I see Marcus already committed an update to do
>> this to gnutar. But now I see the with_default_names variant did
>> more than just install unprefixed binaries. It also installed
>> unprefixed manpages and whatever was in share. For gnutar, there
>> appears to be nothing in libexec and only info pages in share but
>> maybe other ports that have this variant have things in libexec,
>> and also manpages. Do we need "gnushare" and "gnulibexec" dirs too?
>> Or do we need to put bin, share and libexec directories into $
>> {prefix}/libexec/gnu maybe? Presumably if you have your PATH set up
>> so that, say, GNU sed is first, then it would be confusing to say
>> "man sed" and get the system's BSD sed manual...
>
> ${prefix}/libexec/gnu sounds like a good idea, although that would
> involve adding an additional path to $MANPATH.

If your MANPATH is empty (as I believe we recommend), then man will
automatically search for things in all the locations specified in PATH
(that is, for every path in PATH, man will look in ../share/man for
manpages).

Though it's sounding strange for libexec/gnu to be its own prefix.
apach2, for example, uses ${prefix}/apache2 as its prefix. Granted
that violates the mtree, which I originally objected to in this
thread. :/ Guess I don't really know where it should go.