[57854] trunk/dports/www/phpmyadmin/Portfile

Olivier Le Floch alakazam at macports.org
Sat Sep 19 19:01:00 PDT 2009

> I didn't quite understand: why did you have to rename config.inc.php
> and differ from phpMyAdmin's documentation? Sure it might be nice to
> have the config file in ${prefix}/etc along with other programs'
> config files, but I don't see what forced you to do that. It would
> have been fine to keep the config file where it was, no? Also I
> think it's pretty usual for web apps to have their config files
> within their own directories, and not within ${prefix}/etc. I
> haven't sampled many web apps, but I would assume they're written to
> be used on web hosts where users don't usually have access to system-
> wide directories like /etc.

There are actually two parts to this question :

   - Why did I choose to have the configuration file live in ${prefix}/
etc/ instead of the application's own directory ?

Because if I'm not mistaken, future upgrade of phpmyadmin, and
uninstalls, etc., would not handle this user edited file very well. If
this is not the case (i.e. upgrading the phpmyadmin port won't risk
erasing this file), then I fully agree that this whole "copy the file
and add a symlink" stuff is not useful at all (and I should remove it
to avoid confusing users with a non standard phpMyAdmin config).

   - Why did I choose to rename the configuration file from
config.inc.php to phpmyadmin.inc.php ?

Since I was putting the file in a directory common to many ports, I
most definitely did not want it to have a name that might conflict
with other ports.