[57854] trunk/dports/www/phpmyadmin/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 19 15:37:13 PDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 11:13, Olivier Le Floch wrote:

> On 18 sept. 09, at 02:17, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> On 2009-09-17 23:26 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I prefer to tell the user where the sample files are so
>>> they can make copies if and when they want. Other port authors have
>>> taken recently to copying the sample files for the user.
>>
>> If the software requires the config file to run at all, it makes
>> sense
>> to copy it in a post-activate phase. Otherwise, there is no need to
>> do this.

The point of phpMyAdmin is to administer MySQL servers, so I don't see
any point in trying to run phpMyAdmin without first having configured
it to know where your MySQL servers are...

> I agree. In the case of the phpMyAdmin port, the configuration file
> is not required, but since phpMyAdmin expects its configuration file
> to be in it's root directory (i.e. in /opt/local/www/phpmyadmin/ for
> macports), uninstalling/upgrading phpmyadmin would destroy/conflict
> with the user's configuration file. Because of this, I had to add a
> symlink from the default configuration file location to somewhere in
> ${prefix}/etc/. Unfortunately, phpMyAdmin calls it's configuration
> file {{{config.inc.php}}}, which meant I had to rename it (and
> differ from phpMyAdmin's documentation) in ${prefix}/etc/, and the
> easiest way I think to document this name change was to directly
> install the sample config file.

I didn't quite understand: why did you have to rename config.inc.php
and differ from phpMyAdmin's documentation? Sure it might be nice to
have the config file in ${prefix}/etc along with other programs'
config files, but I don't see what forced you to do that. It would
have been fine to keep the config file where it was, no? Also I think
it's pretty usual for web apps to have their config files within their
own directories, and not within ${prefix}/etc. I haven't sampled many
web apps, but I would assume they're written to be used on web hosts
where users don't usually have access to system-wide directories like /
etc.