darwin may lose primary target status on FSF gcc

Mark A. Miller mark at mirell.org
Tue Sep 22 17:33:35 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Toby Peterson <toby at macports.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 17:24, Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:20:46PM -0700, Toby Peterson wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyway, please go use Fink if you find MacPorts insufficient for your
> needs.
> >
> >  Do you realize how idiotic that response sounds. A rational answer would
> a request
> > for more scientific ports. No, you treat this like your own private
> little
> > packaging club...new members and ports need not apply.
>
> I'm sorry, did I miss something? You've been whining about gcc support
> for Mac OS X, not submitting new ports. New port submissions are
> always welcome (in trac).
>
> - Toby

Actually, while I see the merits of both sides, while loss of new Fortran
support is apparently an issue in the scientific community, it's also a GCC
issue rather than MacPorts-specific, and probably doesn't belong on this
particular mailing list.
However, what's far more annoying is the flame bait war that this has
devolved to. Initially this thread was intelligent, if perhaps irrelevant
discussion.

Please stop.

Thanks.

--