darwin may lose primary target status on FSF gcc

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Tue Sep 22 17:35:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:27:52PM -0700, Toby Peterson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 17:24, Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:20:46PM -0700, Toby Peterson wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyway, please go use Fink if you find MacPorts insufficient for your needs.
> >
> >  Do you realize how idiotic that response sounds. A rational answer would a request
> > for more scientific ports. No, you treat this like your own private little
> > packaging club...new members and ports need not apply.
>
> I'm sorry, did I miss something? You've been whining about gcc support
> for Mac OS X, not submitting new ports. New port submissions are
> always welcome (in trac).
>
> - Toby

Toby,
   I have a slew of new tickets. The point is that scientific codes often
require a fortran compiler. In any case, everyone is overreacting. The
wheels aren't likely to come off of gcc 4.5 before release. I actually
fixed a P1 blocker last night. It won't be easy but we will likely manage as
there still enough other FSF gcc developers who have MacBooks that won't
want to lose the ability to work on them with FSF gcc.
         Jack