MySQL port name confusion

Akira Kitada akitada at macports.org
Sat Sep 26 02:53:50 PDT 2009

Hi,

I realized mysql5 and mysql5-server ports are still pointing to 5.0.x,
ex-GA release of MySQL
and need to install mysql5-devel and mysql5-server-devel for 5.1.x,
the current GA release.

If I understand correctly, -devel suffix denotes that the port is a
development version
but this case, it actually provides GA release version.

So I think I would say they aren't so good port names.
I think simply naming them as mysqlXX(-server) is more intuitive.
Coincidentally, this seems the naming convention adopted in FreeBSD ports.

What do you think of this? Do you think this is feasible?

Thanks