MySQL port name confusion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 26 09:45:27 PDT 2009

On Sep 26, 2009, at 04:53, Akira Kitada wrote:

> I realized mysql5 and mysql5-server ports are still pointing to 5.0.x,
> ex-GA release of MySQL
> and need to install mysql5-devel and mysql5-server-devel for 5.1.x,
> the current GA release.
>
> If I understand correctly, -devel suffix denotes that the port is a
> development version
> but this case, it actually provides GA release version.
>
> So I think I would say they aren't so good port names.
> I think simply naming them as mysqlXX(-server) is more intuitive.
> Coincidentally, this seems the naming convention adopted in FreeBSD
> ports.
>
> What do you think of this? Do you think this is feasible?

I was not planning on changing the names. I was planning on upgrading
mysql5 to 5.1.x and mysql5-devel to 5.4.x.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19414

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19415

I was just about to finally get around to doing that a few days ago,
but it seems mysql 5.1.x cannot be installed as a universal binary
whereas this was no problem for 5.0.x so I filed a but with the mysql
developers. Unfortunately I have not received a response on it yet.

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=47360