MPWA

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Apr 6 01:16:00 PDT 2010

Hello Joe,

On 2010-04-06 05:29 , livinded wrote:
> I've been looking over the MPWA project for the GSoC and am
> interested in working on it. After checking out the code base and
> attempting to get it up and running to test out, I realized that it
> was written using Rail 1.x which is almost two major revisions
> behind. After a number of modifications I was able to get the code
> base running on 2.3.5 somewhat and was able to actually test it out.

It is nice that you got so far. As the code is old as you say, you are
not tied to use ruby on rails or any of the existing code. If you think
porting to a newer version would be more work than a rewrite, that's
okay. Propose and use what you think would be the best tools for this task.

> Looking at the TODO list there in the subversion repo there really
> didn't seem like there was all that much, featurewise, to do other
> than add in user/role authorization, commenting, and minor changes to
> the view. Based on the current code base I see there being two major
> portions of this project, the first being to update the code base to
> use a newer version of rails, either 2.x or 3-beta, and secondly
> adding in new functionality. I know that the code base is fairly old
> and was wondering what else such as integration with Trac or other
> systems that MacPorts uses or other features that should be added
> into it?

MPWA should be able to be a comprehensive online interface to the ports
tree. List which ports are available (with a search function of course)
in a appealing way. It should also include links to tickets filed
against a port. Maybe it could also have some rating/comment system.

Decide yourself which features are possible and how. You could compare
to already existing websites for other distribution systems
(packages.debian.org, packages.gentoo.org, freshports.org to name a few).

Rainer