[66590] trunk/dports/devel

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 18 08:22:30 PDT 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 10:04, Thomas Keller wrote:

> It seems as if py26-gtk needs py26-cairo, which needs py26-numpy, which
> ends up needing gcc43.

True, though py26-numpy has a +no_gcc43 variant you can use if you want to skip the parts that need a Fortran compiler.

> I went through without installing any newer gcc
> version than what Apple provides with my Leopard installation until now,

Note it's not the newer C compiler in gcc43 that py26-numpy needs; it's the Fortran compiler, of which Apple's provides no version whatsoever.

> as I want to avoid big recompilations every few weeks.

Recompilations... of a GCC port, or of anything? I wouldn't expect you to need to recompile gcc43 every few weeks, since I don't expect there to be too many new versions of gcc43 now that gcc45 is final. For example the last update to gcc43 was in r55501 on 2009-08-12 when it was updated to 4.3.4. gcc45 might be updated a few times to fix bugs that are found; since it was just released it's bound to have some.

If you mean you don't want to recompile any port, that's your prerogative. Dozens of ports are updated in the repository every day, so it's not unexpected that several ports would be presented to you via "port outdated" every week. Of course it's up to you whether to upgrade or not.

> Sadly that there
> is no binary infrastructure yet which would ease the installation of
> such massive dependencies...

Yes, it would be nice for MacPorts to have binaries.

> But hey, since this port is "openmaintainer", anybody can pick up the
> task and try to bring it to python26... I just don't have the time to
> wait half a day for that.

The GCC ports do take awhile to build, especially on older machines. But they're good to have installed, for those handful of ports that need a Fortran compiler or a newer C compiler. You could always let it build overnight. No need to sit there waiting for it. If it's still building in the morning and you want your CPU free, just cancel the build with Control-C and start it up again later.