[66590] trunk/dports/devel

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Apr 19 01:54:14 PDT 2010

On 2010-04-18 17:22 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2010, at 10:04, Thomas Keller wrote:
>
>> It seems as if py26-gtk needs py26-cairo, which needs py26-numpy,
>> which ends up needing gcc43.
>
> True, though py26-numpy has a +no_gcc43 variant you can use if you
> want to skip the parts that need a Fortran compiler.

Probably this has been discussed before and I just couldn't find it in
the archive, but is it really necessary to build the Fortran stuff by
default?

Upstream recommends to use the Accelerate.framework (or
vecLib.framework) on Mac OS X which is also used with +no_atlas in
py26-numpy. Would the +no_atlas behavior be a more sensible default?

I know we have our use-our-own-ports policy, but this could be something
where Apple might provide the better library specific to their systems.

Alternatively, I propose we add a new fortran port group which offers
support for possible fortran compilers with variants and auto-selects
the best choice for the current system. This should be based on what is
already installed, so if you already have gfortran-mp-4.4 from gcc44
this is what would be used instead of installing another copy of gcc.

Rainer