Possibility of hdparm on Mac OS X

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Aug 27 08:18:19 PDT 2010

On Aug 27, 2010, at 6:09 AM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2010, at 9:52 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hdparm/support
>>
>> The one command I am after is ATA Secure Erase, the rest would be nice, but that is the main one.
>
> I think this would be a time consuming with no guarantee of success.
>
> If you have physical access use a liveboot cd with the tool you need installed.
>
> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=841182

Thanks Brad,

Yeah, my goal was to avoid that method.  I wanted to have a full CLI Suite here, in Mac Ports for the more advanced users, and then yank out the ATA Secure Erase command into a very simple GUI app that did one thing, but hopefully did it well,

I had a feeling it would be a complex one to do given the nature of this software, and my lack of understanding in this language.  Not to mention to shove it into a GUI would be one of just a handful of experiences I would have had in obj-c or using Apple's tools for that matter.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
--
Scott (* For off-list contact, replace talklists@ with scott@ *)