call script from Portfile?

Titus von Boxberg titus at v9g.de
Tue Aug 31 23:09:28 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to update wxWidgets-devel to the current version.
Their build process calls install_name_tool -id on the shared libraries
after installing. This records the destroot directory in the files
so they are unusable after installation.

Besides patching the build process, one option would be to
call this script again with the final directory after activation.

Two questions:
guide.macport.com says to this
"External program execution: Use only when ...."
What should I make of it? Is it a Bad Idea to call an external script?

Is there a phase when both the port is activated and the build directory
is still in place? Is there a thing like post-activation ?

Thanks and regards

Titus