call script from Portfile?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 31 23:29:12 PDT 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 01:09, Titus von Boxberg wrote:

> [http://guide.macports.org] says to this
> "External program execution: Use only when ...."
> What should I make of it?

I guess nobody finished writing that part of the guide.

> Is it a Bad Idea to call an external script?

Not if there's no other easy option, as I think is the case here.

> Is there a phase when both the port is activated and the build directory
> is still in place? Is there a thing like post-activation ?

Yes, you can write a post-activate phase. But that's not the correct place to do the type of fix you're proposing. The correct place is probably the post-build phase. You can look at the oracle-instantclient for a (convoluted) example of calling install_name_tool in a portfile (it does it in the build phase, but you probably have an existing build phase you don't want to overwrite, so you probably want post-build instead).