arch checking?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 3 08:45:17 PST 2010

On Dec 3, 2010, at 09:43, Landon J Fuller wrote:

> I ran across this trying to get openjdk6 ported to 10.5/ppc:
> 	Error: Cannot install openjdk6 for the arch(s) 'powerpc' because
> 	Error: its dependency apache-ant does not build for the required arch(s) by default
> 	Error: and does not have a universal variant.
>
> The apache-ant port is written in Java, has no architecture-specific dependencies, and will build on any architecture. If I actually try to build+install it, it works fine:
> 	---> Staging apache-ant into destroot
> 	---> Installing apache-ant @1.8.1_0
> 	---> Activating apache-ant @1.8.1_0
> 	---> Cleaning apache-ant
>
> How should I work around this constraint? It seems a bit odd that the ports system is pre-emptively blocking me from trying to build something that will work just fine, rather than providing a setting that allows the few ports that *are* architecture specific to declare themselves as such -- but maybe I'm misunderstanding what this feature does.

Ports like apache-ant that install no architecture-specific files should so indicate by using the key "supported_archs noarch".

I've fixed this for apache-ant just now:

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/74060

The vast majority of ports do install architecture-specific (i.e. compiled) files so it makes more sense to require the few architecture-agnostic ports to be modified.