Contact software developers when adding a port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 15 12:37:53 PST 2010

In private email and in http://trac.macports.org/ticket/27574#comment:7 the developer of obc expressed the desire to have been contacted both about the existence of this port and in regard to some questions that were raised about the port in that ticket that he might have been able to answer more quickly or more accurately than we were eventually able to guess.

I think his suggestion is a good one. I especially think it bears mentioning that when you write a new portfile, you should contact the developer and let them know that. This prepares them for the day that a user sends them a message that says "I installed your software with MacPorts" and prevents them from then having to wonder "What's MacPorts?" or "How did my software get in there?" If the developer has a list of places from which to get their software, this also gives them an opportunity to add MacPorts to the list, thus even improving our publicity. I realize I've done this for some ports I've written, but it hasn't occurred to me to do so when handling port submissions in the issue tracker, and it seems like maybe this is a step that should be handled by the port author, not the committer (though it would certainly be reasonable for the committer handling the ticket to remind the submitter to do this step).

The Guide doesn't currently say much at all about creating new ports. It says [1] "You may contribute new ports" and "Ports are contributed by following these steps". I think it would benefit from an introductory paragraph that includes a mention of working with or at least contacting the software developer, though I'm not sure what else the paragraph should say. Suggestions?

[1] http://guide.macports.org/#project.contributing