313 ports still use ui_msg

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 17 21:22:09 PST 2010

On Dec 17, 2010, at 10:11, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> I'm not sure how best to handle these situations using notes. The best I've thought of is to define the notes normally, then in pre-activate, clear the notes if the user has already dealt with what they tell the user to do. That way "port notes" still works, but the notes don't get shown to the user every time they upgrade. But I haven't tested this strategy in practice.
>
> Ryan, I suggest clearing the notes out during a later phase: as we've seen with KDE ports users may build them phase-by-phase. If configure phase is already done then the message won't be cleared. Right?

That's why I said clear the notes in pre-activate, since MacPorts prints notes in activate.

I've now given this strategy a try with whois, and it seems to work.

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/74462

It will become tricky, of course, if there are multiple sets of notes to be displayed, with different conditions on each.