[MacPorts] #27494: dvips: ! Couldn't find header file: texnansi.enc

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Thu Dec 16 18:04:44 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 05:00:57PM -0800, Julius Smith wrote:
> Thanks for checking into this.  Your knowledge
> exceeds mine on this topic, so I have no further
> opinion, other than to point out that the file is
> installed by MacTeX-2010.mpkg.  It apparently puts it here:

You may be overestimating my knowledge. :-) I don't claim to understand
the entire TeX font system, and I'm not entirely sure anyone does.

The file is also available in MacPorts, specifically in the
texlive-fonts-extra port, it's just not installed by default.

This is probably the largest user-visible difference between MacPorts
TeXLive and MacTeX: MacTeX installs all of texlive by default, whereas
we install only the most common packages by default. If you prefer to
have everything installed, you can install the texlive port with the
+full variant. You can also install specific packages like
texlive-fonts-extra as needed.

> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/enc/dvips/ly1/texnansi.enc
>
> Could "ly1" refer to LyX?

No, "ly1" is another name for the "texnansi" encoding. I don't think it
has any particular meaning.

> I am not aware of having installed fonts outside
> of texlive ports, but of course some other
> installation may have without my noticing.  As I
> mentioned, I had no problems until I opened and
> re-saved a couple of PostScript files in Adobe Illustrator (CS3 version).

I'm afraid you've got me stumped as to why you found yourself needing
this encoding.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/