[MacPorts-Dev] About email subjects

Brian Forte bforte at adelaide.on.net
Wed Jan 6 15:49:42 PST 2010

Paolo,

>I think it could be a great thing if the mailing list could be setup
>to prefix subject of the email with something like this one:
>
>[MacPorts-Dev]
>
>Eitherwise it is nearly impossible to distinguish between list
>messages and personal ones.

Look in the headers of any message from the list. You'll find a bunch
of 'List-*' headers including List-Id as follows:

Most modern mailing lists populate these headers with list-specific
information and most modern e-mail clients can filter on any header,
so you can use the contents of List-Id to filter mailing list traffic
out from e-mail sent directly to you.

FWIW, I prefer List-Id fields to adding a string to the Subject field
for the same reason as I prefer Type codes or UTIs to file-name
extensions. Overloading a single field with multiple information
types is the very definition of bad database design.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brian Forte.
--