Dropping qt4-kde?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 12 07:06:45 PST 2010

Quoting Jeremy Lainé <sharky at macports.org>:

> In the spirit of trying to keep qt4-mac as simple as possible to
> reduce the maintenance load, would anybody oppose:
>
> - making cocoa the default and thus dropping the "cocoa" variant
> - dropping the "noframework" variant
>
> The only downside I can see is that we will lose support for OS X
> 10.4, but to my knowledge 10.4 is no longer part of the supported
> versions.

We still provide MacPorts DMGs for 10.4 and I would prefer not to
prevent 10.4 users from having all the ports that depend on qt4-mac.
You're welcome to make +cocoa the default variant for 10.5 and up
(instead of on 10.6 only as the port currently does), assuming adding
+cocoa has no negative side effects for 10.5 and up. Or, you can
remove the cocoa variant and integrate its functionality for 10.5 and
up in other ways, for example by putting -cocoa in the global
configure.args and adding a "platform darwin 8" section that removes
it again. Such a change should be accompanied by a revbump since this
will affect how the port builds on 10.5.