pre- & post-(de)activate?

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Wed Jul 7 06:54:09 PDT 2010

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 17:08 +1000, "Joshua Root" <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
> Sounds like you're using the flat registry format, which doesn't store
> portfiles and so can't run these procedures.

Thanks for the info.  This is the second time some has told me this
news; the first being w/r.t. dealing with installed files that differ in
name solely by caps (e.g., Phonon and phonon).  When I look at the
MacPorts Guide it says:

{{{
portdbformat
    Storage type to use for the MacPorts registry: flat or sqlite.
    sqlite is not yet supported.
    Default: flat
}}}

My understanding is that as of 1.9 "sqlite" is supported, but it is not
the default?  And thus there is no way to guarantee that these new
features will work in my Portfiles, since I cannot control which format
the end-user is using?  Maybe the correct thing to do is to add a hook
that works with either format, which checks the format and prints out a
warning if using 'flat' ... ? - MLD