pre- & post-(de)activate?

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Wed Jul 7 10:32:47 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 09:54:09AM -0400, Michael Dickens wrote:
> My understanding is that as of 1.9 "sqlite" is supported, but it is not
> the default?  And thus there is no way to guarantee that these new
> features will work in my Portfiles, since I cannot control which format
> the end-user is using?

Do we have any plans to nudge users to switch to the sqlite registry?
Like, say, having selfupdate print a message about it (or, better yet,
prompt to update macports.conf itself)

If you didn't read the release announcement and just did a selfupdate,
you probably wouldn't have any idea that this was a change worth making
-- or been discouraged by the old warning that sqlite isn't supported.

And if we are going to rely on post-deactivate hooks -- which are a
much-needed feature (thanks!) -- then the current situation where
they'll only work for some users is just asking for trouble. For
example, texlive-* needs post-deactivate hooks to clean up some
generated files that would otherwise be left in /opt/local/var/db

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/