Various on qt4-mac

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Fri Jun 18 13:55:15 PDT 2010

A few more items on the Qt4 front:

* Can someone explain why there is a separate qt4-x11 port?  Do people
(developers?) really need to have both qt4-mac and qt4-x11 installed at
the same time?  What I'm thinking is to change the 'conflits' of qt4-mac
to include qt4-x11, and vice versa (and, then, qt4-x11 would also
conflict with qt4-mac-devel).  The reason I'd do this change is so that
-all- of the pkg-config .pc files are linked into
${prefix}/lib/pkgconfig no matter which version of Qt4 is built -- but,
allow just one Qt4 Portfile to be active at any given time.  That way,
if for some reason someone did need qt4-mac and qt4-x11 to be available,
they could get access by activating and deactivating as needed.  Similar
to what a "select" would do, e.g., for Python or GCC.

* There's an empty directory in aqua/qt4-kde ... any idea why it's
there?  Can I remove it?

* Should qt4-x11 be updated to 4.6.3?  Right now it's at 4.4.3_5.  I
think it's pretty simple to do that, but I haven't tried yet.

* I see at the end of the qt4-mac Portfile's post-destroot, a comment
about "Install select file for qt4_select" ... but, there is no
"qt4-select" port.  Anyone know if this port is going to happen, or can
I just remove those lines?

Bottom line is that I'm trying to understand why there are so many
variants to Qt4 out there that could be overlapping when installed, and
trying to best determine how to proceed.  Thanks again! - MLD