Trunk and system's subversion

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue May 11 01:04:15 PDT 2010

On 2010-5-11 17:56 , Andrea D'Amore wrote:
> I just upgraded base and reinstalled, when trying to run "port sync"
> on a Leopard PPC Mac I get:
>
> $ port -d sync
> DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
> Synchronizing local ports tree from
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports
> DEBUG: /usr/bin/svn update --non-interactive
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports
> svn: This client is too old to work with working copy
> '/opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk'; please get a
> newer Subversion client
> shell command "/usr/bin/svn update --non-interactive
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports"
> returned error 1
> DEBUG: shell command failed
>     while executing
> "system $svn_commandline"
> Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing an svn update
> DEBUG: Synchronization of 1 source(s) failed
>     while executing
> "mportsync [array get global_options]"
> port sync failed: Synchronization of 1 source(s) failed
>

> This happens with svn 1.6.2 provided from tigris.org Finder plugin:
>
> $ /usr/local/bin/svn --version
>  svn, version 1.6.2 (r37639)
>     compiled May 21 2009, 19:03:03
>

> System's svn is even older:
>
> $ /usr/bin/svn --version
> svn, version 1.4.4 (r25188)
>    compiled Sep 28 2009, 16:25:45
>

> I didn't find any reference for a specific svn version in Changelog,
> if 1.9 has specific requirements we should mention it.

MacPorts has no requirement for the version of svn used to sync. It will
use the version from the subversion port if present, otherwise Apple's
version.

Subversion itself will not always work with working copies produced by
newer versions. IOW, don't use /usr/local/bin/svn to create your checkout.

- Josh