Trunk and system's subversion

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue May 11 01:02:05 PDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 12:56 AM, Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> I just upgraded base and reinstalled, when trying to run "port sync"
> on a Leopard PPC Mac I get:
>
> $ port -d sync
> DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
> Synchronizing local ports tree from
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports
> DEBUG: /usr/bin/svn update --non-interactive
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports
> svn: This client is too old to work with working copy
> '/opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk'; please get a
> newer Subversion client

This error happens if you have a 1.4.x client do a checkout, have a 1.5.x or newer client touch the checkout, and then have 1.4.x attempt to do work in it.  It fails because svn clients automatically update the working copy format to the latest format.

So I wouldn't say this is strictly a MacPorts issue, but maybe MacPorts should see if there's a MacPorts provided svn client and use it.  The problem is if you uninstall that client, then you're stuck and need to do a fresh checkout.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.