Homebrew

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Tue May 18 00:52:23 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Geoffroy Carrier
<geoffroy.carrier at koon.fr> wrote:
> /usr/local was exactly meant to isolate the base system from stuff
> installed on top. BSD ports system use /usr/local too. It is actually
> the tradition MacPorts does not follow, a tradition which proved
> efficient.

I think that point stands as long as other programs don't overlap,
/usr/local is the default prefix for autotools and you can end having
a messed up installation.

> implementations are available for the same tool, and extending that to
> versioning is actually what caught my eye as a brilliant design.

Where do symlinks shine when compared to hardlinks? Notice that is an
actual question, I'm not aware of advantages or disadvantages of both
of them when it comes to a management system.

--
Andrea