Homebrew

Geoffroy Carrier geoffroy.carrier at koon.fr
Tue May 18 02:52:13 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:52, Andrea D'Amore <and.damore at macports.org> wrote:
> I think that point stands as long as other programs don't overlap,
> /usr/local is the default prefix for autotools and you can end having
> a messed up installation.

For new manual installations just use
--prefix=/usr/local/packagename/version and you can use brew
link/unlink automagically. And that's FREAKING cool with my dev
workflow.

For old installations...
OK, it might be a pain in the a** if you want to make brew versions
coexist with versions you installed manually, but it would be anyway
if those bins/libs were in different places as you would have to play
with paths all the time anyway.

> Where do symlinks shine when compared to hardlinks? Notice that is an
> actual question, I'm not aware of advantages or disadvantages of both
> of them when it comes to a management system.

First thing I can think of: ls -l to track which version you're using!

--
Pierre Carrier