Homebrew

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 18 05:48:39 PDT 2010

On May 18, 2010, at 07:45, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

>> Where do symlinks shine when compared to hardlinks?
>
> They don't.

Well, symlinks would fix the Time Machine issue, wouldn't they? Hardlinks are indistinguishable (to Time Machine, anyway) from real second copies of files, so Time Machine backs up twice, doesn't it? With symlinks it wouldn't. Not saying we should switch back to symlinks, and I know we have a branch in progress that already fixes this a different way (right?) just pointing out a case where symlinks have an advantage over hardlinks.

Personally, I've never made a hardlink, but I've made tons of symlinks. A standard OS distribution is also filled with symlinks. They can't be so bad.