Homebrew

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue May 18 05:45:00 PDT 2010

On May 18, 2010, at 3:52 AM, Andrea D'Amore wrote:
>> implementations are available for the same tool, and extending that to
>> versioning is actually what caught my eye as a brilliant design.
>
> Where do symlinks shine when compared to hardlinks? Notice that is an
> actual question, I'm not aware of advantages or disadvantages of both
> of them when it comes to a management system.

They don't.

The first version of macports activate/deactivate used symlinks and it mostly worked. Some software would act 'funny' (and start trying to use paths to the symlink targets for stuff instead of the symlink path).

If Homebrew is really awesome, we can probably steal ideas from them ;-)

--
Daniel J. Luke