ruby_select and rvm

David Baumgold singingwolfboy at macports.org
Tue May 18 14:11:02 PDT 2010

As far as I can tell, MacPorts has very poor support for Ruby 1.9. I'm
going to be taking a class that requires using Ruby 1.9, so I have a
big incentive to fix this. :) I know that MacPorts Python has the
python_select port -- is there an equivalent ruby_select port? (I
haven't found one, but I want to be sure.) I also recently discovered
a project called rvm (http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/) which is
designed for exactly this purpose. Can a more experienced MacPorts
developer tell me what would be required to package rvm so that it
works with MacPorts, and give me some tips for how to go about doing
so? I don't really know what I'm doing, so any and all information is
appreciated!
-David