ruby_select and rvm

Joseph Holsten joseph at josephholsten.com
Wed May 19 11:24:57 PDT 2010

David Baumgold wrote:

> As far as I can tell, MacPorts has very poor support for Ruby 1.9. I'm
> going to be taking a class that requires using Ruby 1.9, so I have a
> big incentive to fix this. :) I know that MacPorts Python has the
> python_select port -- is there an equivalent ruby_select port? (I
> haven't found one, but I want to be sure.) I also recently discovered
> a project called rvm (http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/) which is
> designed for exactly this purpose. Can a more experienced MacPorts
> developer tell me what would be required to package rvm so that it
> works with MacPorts, and give me some tips for how to go about doing
> so?

Typical gem installation is done by

% gem install rvm

Gem portfiles are amazingly simple to create, see http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/ruby/rb-actionmailer/Portfile for a good example.

I should mention that I could not make ruby 1.9 work through rvm, but my macports install runs perfectly. Strange that your setup would be opposite.
--
http://josephholsten.com