Fwd: library versions

Takeshi Enomoto takeshi at macports.org
Thu May 20 02:32:15 PDT 2010

> Normally you'd install the older one into a subdir (e.g. lib/${name} and
> include/${name}) and have the dependents use appropriate -I/-L flags. Or
> you might get away with renaming the files and having the dependents use
> something like -ljpeg6.

I decided to create jpeg6b port and install it in lib/${name}.
hdf4 can point to that directory.

Most of the existing users have a copy in jpeg so I set dist_subdir to jpeg
but new users need to download a copy.
It appears that the http://www.ijg.org does not keep old versions.
Can MacPorts mirrors specified in master_sites?

I am fine with this solution.
My original point was that sometimes it is a pain to instruct
many ports to look at lib/${name} and I wondered if there is a better way.
Perhaps not since echo port use different build systems
(configure, simple Makefile, CMake and sometime nothing).

Takeshi