Trouble installing powerDNS

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri May 21 22:25:06 PDT 2010

Trying to get powerdns to build before I take on making a port.

The first issue I have is that it needs something called "Boost" which is a huge set of files.  I finally got it to go with MacPorts, but that still yielded an error:

Missing boost - please install Boost packages or see http://doc.powerdns.com/compiling-powerdns.html
That was from this command: $CXXFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include/boost ./configure

Since I don't need the compiled versions, and just the includes, I took the easy road, which I am wondering how to do in a PortFile, as I do not want to add the hour long compile time to this dependency if I just need to download it, unpack it, and point to the files.  Heck, even untarring takes a while.

http://doc.powerdns.com/compiling-powerdns.html

So now, I do as per above:
$CXXFLAGS=-I/Users/haneda/Downloads/boost_1_43_0 ./configure
That "boost_1_43_0" directory is a straight SL from SF.net, and just unpacked from tar.

I then run the ./configure above, and get about this far:
Log file: http://pastie.org/972090

Start snip...
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... no
    checking for nawk... no
    checking for awk... awk
    checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin10.3.0
    checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin10.3.0

End snip...
    configure: WARNING: boost/shared_ptr.hpp: accepted by the compiler,
    rejected by the preprocessor!
    configure: WARNING: boost/shared_ptr.hpp: proceeding with the
    compiler's result
    checking for boost/shared_ptr.hpp... yes
    checking for size_t... yes
    checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
    checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
    checking return type of signal handlers... void
    checking for gethostname... yes
    checking for gettimeofday... yes
    checking for mkdir... yes
    checking for mktime... yes
    checking for select... yes
    checking for socket... yes
    checking for strerror... yes
    checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
    checking for RTLD_NOW... yes
    checking whether we will be doing verbose logging... no
    checking whether we should build static binaries...
    checking whether we will be building the server... yes
    checking whether we will be building the recursor... no
    checking whether we should use nedmalloc allocator... no
    checking for MySQL library directory... configure: error: Didn't find
    the mysql library dir in '/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
    /usr/local/lib/mysql /opt/mysql/lib/mysql
    /usr/lib/mysql /usr/local/mysql/lib /usr/local/lib /opt/mysql/lib
    /usr/lib 		/usr/sfw/lib/'

I do have Mysql installed, so I think I just need to point something to a set of libs, but I do no know where, or the syntax, and would also like to know how to point to the MP install of Boost, since I did take the time to install it.

Is it possible in a Portfile to describe the installation in a way that a distro is downloaded, unpacked, and only referenced, and then cleaned up when done?

Thanks.