Removing support for include statements

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed May 26 15:17:04 PDT 2010

On 2010-5-27 02:27 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 26, 2010, at 11:11, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> with MacPorts 1.9 we will begin to store Portfiles into the registry to
>> run activate/deactivate hooks later. For this, we cannot use the include
>> statement anymore as sourced files are not being stored in the registry
>> and therefore would not be available later.
>>
>> As far as I was able to determine I was the only one maintaining ports
>> which use include which had been added before I took maintainership. Now
>> I already removed the include statements from vim, vim-app and bash.
>>
>> Any objections to completely removing include from port1.0?
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me.

Well, the other option would be to make it work by also storing the
other required files. Maybe even portgroups. I already started wondering
if it would be better if the portfile field in the registry was just a
path and we kept the actual file somewhere under the registry dir.

>> PS: On a related note, from 1.9 on the versions in PortSystem and
>> PortGroup need to declare a stable interface or otherwise we will have a
>> similar problem.
>
> Hm, yeah, we haven't been incrementing that version number at all. What kinds of changes would necessitate increasing that version number? Any changes we've already done in the past for example?

Anything that removes a proc or variable or significantly alters its
semantics. We try not to do that.

- Josh