[MacPorts] #27092: finch builds universal and fails with "gcc-4.2: -E, -S, -save-temps and -M options are not allowed with multiple -arch flags" (was: finch @2.7.0 "Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed" #build_failure)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Nov 1 17:02:37 PDT 2010

On Nov 1, 2010, at 18:50, Jeff Melton wrote:

> I got the same error on the pidgin build. Log attached. Please let me know if I need to file a separate bug against pidgin.

Actually it looks like you got totally different errors now. From the log, we see:

:info:build ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
:info:build ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
:info:build ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
:info:build ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libglib-2.0.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

Ok, that's kind of expected: the glib2 port's libraries aren't universal (i.e. they are x86_64 only and do not contain an i386 component). Since MacPorts wasn't asking to build pidgin universal, it did not ensure glib2 was built universal. The real error is still that for some reason pidgin is trying to build universal though it was not requested. I suspect problems in one of pidgin's dependencies (e.g. that one of pidgin's dependencies' config scripts is incorrectly includes -arch flags).

The next error is more telling:

:info:build ld: warning: in /sw/lib/libdb.dylib, file was built for i386 which is not the architecture being linked (x86_64)
:info:build   CCLD   ssl-nss.la
:info:build ld: warning: in /sw/lib/libdb.dylib, file was built for i386 which is not the architecture being linked (x86_64)
:info:build ld: warning: in /sw/lib/libdb.dylib, file was built for i386 which is not the architecture being linked (x86_64)

This means you have a copy of the BerkeleyDB library in /sw/lib. /sw is the directory commonly used by Fink, another Mac OS X package management system. It is not supported to have Fink and MacPorts installed at the same time. Please pick one package management system and uninstall the other, so that they do not interfere with one another in the manner you are currently experiencing.