Ports Linking in Carbon

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 3 07:05:59 PDT 2010

On Nov 3, 2010, at 09:01, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> PSPP itself doesn't make use of Carbon but something down the chain of dependencies causes it to be linked in.
>
> Do we have any [upcoming] policies about inclusion of Carbon in ports?
>
> Does anyone know is Carbon available in default 10.6 installs + Dev tools + X11?

Carbon is always available on Mac OS X, but the majority of it is only available in 32-bit.

I know of no MacPorts-specific plans for Carbon (for example to ban ports using Carbon) but software developers are expected to want to rid their programs of Carbon since by doing so they are closer to supporting 64-bit builds.