[73027] trunk/dports/lang/sbcl/Portfile

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Fri Nov 12 06:22:52 PST 2010

On Nov 2, 2010, at 01:45 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

[…]

> It sounds like the pdf variant does everything the html variant
> does, and then a little more. So why not make the pdf variant require
> the html variant, instead of making them conflict? Especially since
> the html variant is selected by default.

Logically I agree that your request makes sense, but I need some
conceptual help here due to my limited knowledge of Portfiles.  The
'html' variant works by patching the SBCL source to not install the
full documentation.  The 'pdf' variant needs this code not to be
patched to execute.  I didn't see a  way to temporally order the
execution of variant code-blocks, so I didn't know how to guarantee
the 'pdf' variant always "undoes" the patch if both variants are
specified.  If there is no way to temporally order variant clauses,
I guess the way around this is to find a Portfile phase after all
the variants have been executed to cleanup the corner cases.

With my submission of the sbcl-1.0.44 update yesterday, the 'html'
variant is no longer the default.

How would the "grayer beards" than mine of MacPorts suggest I tackle
Ryan's suggestion?

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare to it now."