Using Xcode debugger on executable installed via "port install" possible?

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Wed Nov 24 14:00:24 PST 2010

Hi,

I am wondering whether it is possible to use Xcode's debugger to debug an application installed via MacPorts...

I installed qt4-mac+debug and kmymoney4-devel+debug just fine.

Now I want to debug kmymoney4-devel, which is why I set up an XCode project with an external build. I inserted the source code files from my local SVN copy of kmymoney4's sources into the project.

I do start my kmymoney4-devel outside Xcode and attach the debugger to it.

GDB is able to halt and continue the executable, but complains like this: "mi_cmd_stack_list_frames: Not enough frames in stack" (an error message found tons of times via google, but perhaps nothing really to worry about)

I expected that I can now insert a breakpoint somewhere in my source code, but this doesn't work as expected! I can break and step through the assembler code no problem, but the debugger would neither step through the Objective-C source files nor stop on its own at a predefined breakpoint.

Feeling a little lost and hope that someone of you guys can give me the missing hint. :)

Greets,
Marko