[MacPorts] Migration modified

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 15 07:53:50 PDT 2010

Please respond on the mailing list, not in private mail.

On Oct 15, 2010, at 09:49, lagrave at gmail.com wrote:

> --On 2010-10-15 09.35 -0500 Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> Obviously you should perform a backup before any major procedure. But I
>> do not see anywhere in the Migration instructions that tells you to
>> delete your configuration files, or any other explanation for what you
>> claim. If you provide more details about what happened, perhaps we can
>> help fix it.
>
> I have/had a backup (a few hours old, it would have been better if it was completely fresh). Following the migrations instructions removed all the config files for privoxy (and probably other ports too, I haven't verified this) in /opt/local/etc/privoxy/. Very annoying. When I delete a regular GUI based program, only the application is deleted, not the preferences, documents or similar, so this was quite unexpected. I am happy I had my backup.
>
> I really think it is motivated with a warning.

I agree this behavior is unexpected and is a bug, but it is a bug in individual ports, not in MacPorts as a whole. You already filed a bug for this problem with privoxy here:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/23970

Unfortunately the privoxy port has no maintainer so nobody has fixed that problem yet. Patches to fix it are welcome. If you find similar problems with any other ports, please file additional tickets.