[72523] trunk/dports/net

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Oct 19 13:51:55 PDT 2010

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> And you still want to use both sha1/rmd160 rather
>> than just sha256, right ? (In addition to the md5.)
>
> As I update ports I have been using sha1 and rmd160 only. I've been
> removing md5 on the theory that it is obsolete and needn't be used
> for anything anymore, and sha256 is not yet in a released version
> of MacPorts.

Seems like /sbin/sha256 is missing from Snow Leopard too.

I think the reason for keeping md5 was for a "fail-fast".

>>> A library the user installed in another location without using
>>> MacPorts could satisfy the dependency, but we don't want that to
>>> be possible.
>>
>> So how do you encode the version in a port: depends ?
>
> You can't. Anyway that was another problem with lib:-style
> dependencies: the need to track dependencies' library version numbers.

That's actually a feature, so you know when to upgrade.

>> Just trust that everything is upgraded automatically ?
>
> Yes, which it is.

Which is rather annoying. But a natural workaround...

> See:
>
> http://guide.macports.org/#reference.dependencies.types

Was confusing syntax with:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/