[72523] trunk/dports/net

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Oct 19 14:06:19 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-19 22:51 , Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> And you still want to use both sha1/rmd160 rather
>>> than just sha256, right ? (In addition to the md5.)
>>
>> As I update ports I have been using sha1 and rmd160 only. I've been
>> removing md5 on the theory that it is obsolete and needn't be used
>> for anything anymore, and sha256 is not yet in a released version
>> of MacPorts.

In my opinion it should be preferred to include those provided by
upstream and add others in addition. So if upstream only provides md5
checksums for their tarballs, use them as that makes it easier to
compare that the Portfile maintainer did use an original tarball. This
is just a what-if, I hope we never need to.

> Seems like /sbin/sha256 is missing from Snow Leopard too.

We are linking to CommonCrypto or libmd for the checksum algorithms, not
using binaries. You can use 'sudo port -v checksum' if you need to
manually generate checksums.

Rainer