qt4-mac infinite loop issue? (aka Getting a second MacPorts into action FAILS)

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sat Oct 23 05:39:42 PDT 2010

Ha, while writing my previous post I ran into the next problem, which might actually be caused by my weird setup with a second MacPorts system  installed.
---
--->  Staging dbus into destroot
--->  Installing dbus @1.2.24_1
--->  Activating dbus @1.2.24_1
Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port dbus. Use 'port -f activate dbus' to force the activation.
Log for dbus is at: /opt/macports-test/var/macports/logs/_opt_macports-test_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_dbus/main.log
---
So, dbus tries to get installed in /Library.

I thought that the MacPorts prefix would always be put in front of paths like /Library or /Tcl…

My 1st macports install has this:
---
markos-imac:work marko$ ls -l /opt/local/Library/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Feb 28  2010 Frameworks
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jun 18 00:38 LaunchAgents
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jun 18 00:38 LaunchDaemons
---

For the 2nd install at /opt/macports-test/ there is still no /Library at all, but I guess that's not the problem here.

having a closer look at the above error message reveals:
---
markos-imac:work marko$ ls -l /opt/local/Library/LaunchAgents/
total 8
-rw-r--r--  2 root  wheel  745 Jun 18 00:38 org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
markos-imac:work marko$ ls -l /Library/LaunchAgents/
total 16
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  563 Aug 27 22:26 com.parallels.desktop.launch.plist
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   66 Jun 18 00:38 org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist -> /opt/local/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
---
So, it's actually so that the dbus entry in /Library/LaunchAgents/ actually links to /opt/local's!!!

Wow, I see, setting up a consistent environment with two MacPorts systems installed is not as easy as I thought.

Wondering whether I could temporarily rename this entry and see whether the installation orgy proceeds then normally.

Well, in any case this means that I would have to start and stop these agents according to which MacPorts system I am about to use…
Could be that dbus is only one of many more potential candidates for this, but at least here in my case it is the ONLY ONE.
So, maybe there is hope that I finally will be able to keep my KDE3 environment intact while I am experimenting with your qt4-mac!