How to convert the Guide's xml source files into (chunked) HTML locally?

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sat Oct 30 11:41:57 PDT 2010

> I figure there should be an XSLT stylesheet somewhere and a certain xlstproc call to make this task work… But before I start searching and experimenting I hope that someone can give me quick help on the list.

Couldn't stop myself and found it in ../resources, i.e. just next to the Guide's sources. :)

Well, but I am having a problem when I try to transform the XML source files into HTML, since xsltproc complains:
---
MP-devel:resources marko$ xsltproc chunk.xsl
warning: failed to load external entity "xsl/xhtml/chunk.xsl"
compilation error: file single-page.xsl line 2 element import
xsl:import : unable to load xsl/xhtml/chunk.xsl
MP-devel:resources marko$
----

Looking into the source file one sees where the corresponding external entity is defined:
---
MP-devel:resources marko$ head chunk.xsl
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version='1.0'>
    <xsl:import href="xsl/xhtml/chunk.xsl"/>
    <xsl:include href="base.xsl"/>
    <!-- Include tab switching for chunk and single-page -->
    <xsl:include href="tabs.xsl"/>

    <!-- See http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/ for parameters -->

    <!-- Additional parameters for the chunked guide. -->
    .
    .
    .
---

So, I guess there is either a faulty setup of docbook itself, or the tree structure of xsl/ is for some reason not present in the svn repo.

I hope there is someone out there who has insight into this…