ambivalence about fortran (was Re: numpy & non-Apple gcc?)

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Mon Sep 20 13:40:49 PDT 2010

As much as I'd be the first person to go \o/ at such news, given that it would represent the culmination of a goal for this project that has been around since 2005 at least, I think we're missing some details here, such as:

1. What process/script creates all the packages for all the ports?  Where is this documented?

2. The resulting packages are in what format?  .pkg?  .mpkg?  .deb?  .other?

3. Assuming that the packages are in an older format like .pkg or .mpkg, how are dependencies being handled?  Is the metadata for dependencies expressed somewhere external to the package collection such that a front-end installation tool could install all of the deps without the user having to know or care?  If we're avoiding this problem by using the .mpkg format, is the assumption that we have so much disk space available that all of the extra redundancy (and download costs) is not going to be a problem?

4. If you've been building all the ports since 1.9 came out, what's your fail/success rate right now?  Is this data being captured somewhere?

Those are just 4 issues off the top of my head - I'm sure I'll come up with another 4 just as soon as I send this. :)

Danke,

- Jordan