ambivalence about fortran (was Re: numpy & non-Apple gcc?)

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Mon Sep 20 13:44:55 PDT 2010

> 1. What process/script creates all the packages for all the ports?  Where is this documented?

Port does it itself, the archive and unarchive phases. The server-side scripts (don't forget autobuild project as well):
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/archives

> 2. The resulting packages are in what format?  .pkg?  .mpkg?  .deb?  .other?

tgz, tbz2, etc.
You can create installers using pkg and dmg, but those are a different topic.

> 3. Assuming that the packages are in an older format like .pkg or .mpkg, how are dependencies being handled?  Is the metadata for dependencies expressed somewhere external to the package collection such that a front-end installation tool could install all of the deps without the user having to know or care?  If we're avoiding this problem by using the .mpkg format, is the assumption that we have so much disk space available that all of the extra redundancy (and download costs) is not going to be a problem?

Dependencies are handled just like any others:
library and run deps are installed/built first. Since the binary distribution doesn't need the build_deps, they are skipped.  This is why I've had previously reported a lot of ports having their dependencies incorrect.

> 4. If you've been building all the ports since 1.9 came out, what's your fail/success rate right now?  Is this data being captured somewhere?

http://lavergne.gotdns.org/macports/

The success rate? "Did it build?" If there's a ticket about a bad build against the port then chances are it didn't make a binary archive.